Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Soul Sustenance: If - Trading Your If Only Regrets for God's What If Possibilities

If is such a powerful word. It can be full of possibilities - or it can be used to destroy them. It can convey hope or regret. In Mark Batterson's new book "If" he looks at changing from regret to a forward-looking view of how God can use us.

I had a chance to review this book, and it was definitely worth my time. As I've gotten older, I've regretted less and less - in fact, there was a question that came up in Bible study a few weeks ago, asking what we would change, and I said nothing. Not that there aren't things that I would have done differently if I could do them over, but I've realized that even the mistakes, the tragedies, the struggles, have shaped me into who I am. So this book was mostly a confirmation of that gradual shift in attitude that's happened.

However, many of us struggle with regret, and that's perfectly normal. This book helps shift that attitude, based on the verse "If God is for us, who can be against us?" God has amazing things He wants to do to use us for His work, and if are open to the "what ifs" in life - the what can we do, not the what should we have done - we'll be in a better position to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment